What is the Meaning of the English Phrasal Verb
turn something down
turn down something
to adjust a control on a device in order to lower the heat, volume, etc.
Examples of TURN DOWN (definition 1) in Sentences:
1. After an hour, turn the oven down to 250 degrees F.
2. It’s really warm in here. Can you please turn down the heat?
turn someone/something down
turn down someone/something
say “no” to an offer
Examples of TURN DOWN (definition 2) in Sentences
1. He has asked her out several times, but she keeps turning him down.
2. Someone put an offer on their house but they turned it down because it was $20,000 less than their asking price.
3. I hate to turn down a good deal but even at the sale price, I can’t afford it.
Note: Many phrasal verbs have more than one definition. Some of the definitions may not be included here.
|present –||TURN DOWN|
|present participle –||TURNING DOWN|
|past –||TURNED DOWN|
|past participle –||TURNED DOWN|