What is the Meaning of the Expression
(be) SUPPOSED TO?
English teaching for English Language Learners (ELL) who are learning to speak English as a Second Language (ESL) or English as an Additional Language (EAL)
required to do something because of an agreement or understanding made earlier, or because you believe it is the way the world ought to work
1. They were supposed to arrive at three o’clock.
2. You are not supposed to be at the office today. You are on vacation.
3. The door is supposed to open when you push this button. I don’t know why it isn’t working.
4. I am supposed to be finished work at 5:00 p.m., but I often need to stay until closer to 6:00 p.m.
5. You aren’t supposed to arrive late to class. It is rude.