What is the Meaning of the Expression
ON YOUR TAIL
ON THE TAIL OF s.o./s.t.?
to follow closely
The following forms are all correct:
- something/someone is on my tail
- s.t./s.o. is on your tail
- s.t./s.o. is on his tail
- s.t./s.o. is on her tail
- s.t./s.o. is on its tail
- s.t./s.o. is on our tail
- s.t./s.o. is on their tail
- s.o./s.t. is on the tail of s.o./s.t.
Tip: Think of the tail as the back end of someone, or something.
Using hot adds the idea of urgency, or quickness.
1. The police suspected that the driver was impaired, so they stayed on his tail for about 5 minutes.
2. The police stayed on the tail of the impaired driver for about 5 minutes.
3. This new release is hot on the tail of their first album.
On the tail is not the same expression as on the trail.