What is the Meaning of TURN DOWN?
turn s.t. down
turn down s.t.
to adjust a control on a device in order to lower the heat, volume, etc.
1. After an hour, turn the oven down to 250 degrees F.
2. It’s really warm in here. Can you please turn down the heat?
3. See the STORY The Sleepover example of TURN DOWN: “Can you turn it down a little?!”
say “no” to an offer
1. He has asked her out several times, but she keeps turning him down.
2. Someone put an offer on their house but they turned it down because it was $20,000 less than their asking price.
3. I hate to turn down a good deal but even at the sale price, I can’t afford it.
|present participle:||TURNING DOWN|
|past participle:||TURNED DOWN|
Note: Many phrasal verbs have more than one definition. Some of the definitions may not be included here.