What is the meaning of TAKE OFF?
take off s.t.
take s.t. off
- remove something that you are wearing
- to remove something completely
1. I thought I would take my ski jacket off. (see Stories)
2. Be careful with the power saw. You could easily take off a finger.
- to become airborne
- to begin to fly
We like to go to the airport and watch the planes take off.
- go away (often this suggests quickly)
1. Every spring I want to take off to the mountains for the weekend.
2. Our neighbours took off in the middle of the night. Then we read in the newspaper that the police were looking for them.
|present participle:||TAKING OFF|
|past participle:||TAKEN OFF|
Note: Many phrasal verbs have several definitions. All the definitions may not be shown here.