What is the Meaning of LEAVE BEHIND?
leave behind s.o./s.t.
leave s.o./s.t. behind
- make progress much more quickly than someone else
- go to a new place without someone, or something
1. He is a faster cyclist than his friend, so he quickly left him behind.
2. See example of LEAVE BEHIND: He started out very slowly, so I wouldn’t get left behind.
3. See example of LEAVE BEHIND: We feel like we are being left behind.
4. See example of LEAVE BEHIND: We need to decide that we do not want to be left behind.
Tip: This Phrasal Verb is often used in the passive voice. Passive voice changes the focus of a sentence from the Subject to the Verb (the action). Using passive voice makes it sound like you are not blaming the Subject for leaving the Object.
Can you hear the difference in meaning?
Active voice: He left her behind.
Passive voice: She was left behind.