What is the Meaning of DRIVE UP?
Drive up means to drive (mostly) north to a specific destination.
- Why don’t you drive up and visit us this weekend?
- We drove up to Alaska last summer.
- See the STORY example of drive up: I poured myself a mug full of hot chocolate, and leaned back, hoping to catch a few winks on the drive up.
Drive up sometimes means drive forward.
- (over the intercom at a fast-food drive-through restaurant) I’m sorry. I can’t hear you. Please drive up to the next window.
- There’s a strange sound coming from the engine. I’m going to drive up to the next gas station and get them to take a look.
|present participle:||DRIVING UP|
|past participle:||DRIVEN UP|