What is the Meaning of the Expression
BACK AND FORTH?
- go between two places (either real or imaginary), over and over
- go short distances in one direction and then in the opposite direction, over and over again
1. The old tire swung back and forth in the gentle breeze.
2. She kept going back and forth between the two job offers, uncertain about which one she wanted to accept.
3. He paced back and forth outside the operating room.
4. Her skirt swung back and forth as she quickly walked down the street.
5. My grandmother has rocked a lot of babies in her life. Now, when she stands, she sways back and forth as though she has a baby in her arms, even when she doesn’t.
Note: This vocabulary is used in the online courses below: