What is the Meaning of the Expression
to CATCH SOMEONE’S EYE?
- to attract someone’s attention by making eye contact with them; by getting them to look at you
- be noticed by someone
- He was looking for someone in the audience with whom he could make eye contact. There was a shuffling as people looked away uncomfortably. He couldn’t catch anyone’s eye.
- I saw your friend at the concert the other night. He was on the other side of the room. I tried to catch his eye but he didn’t see me.
- At our store, we have been trained to check large bills to make sure they are real. Yesterday, a man handed me a $50 bill to pay for a $2 item. When I looked at the bill carefully, a small unusual printed dot near the edge of the bill caught my eye. Sure enough! The bill was a fake. My manager called the police and there was a lot of excitement!
- Bucky was a big mean kid. He made the small kids show him their lunchboxes and he helped himself to whatever caught his eye.
- A: Pretty sweater! B: Thank you; I was shopping yesterday and it caught my eye. I have always liked these colours.