What is the Meaning of the Idiom
EAT LIKE A BIRD?
to eat very little
- I am worried about my grandmother. She eats like a bird. I worry that she isn’t getting enough nutrition.
- If Josh goes out with a girl and she eats like a bird, he won’t ask her out again. He says it is an indication that she is artificial and pretentious*. He likes a girl who is honest enough to eat a full meal on a date.
*pretentious: attempting to make others think you are someone better than what is true or honest
Important Cultural Tips
In western cultures (such as Canada), the following table manners are important:
- chew with your mouth closed (do not let others see the chewed food in your mouth);
- chew and drink quietly;
- do not talk with food in your mouth;
- do not drink from a soup bowl; and
- absolutely no burping.